Monday, December 10, 2012

Today's letter from Elder Monk!


Monday, Dec. 10, 2012

Hi Mom!

Well, things are going really well. BUSY Week this week!  Monday was p-day, Tuesday ZLC in Oxnard, Wednesday exchanges with Elder Brodie (He’s an AP now), Thursday 2 district meetings we had to do, then exchanges in Lompoc and Solvang  - I went to Solvang! We got home Friday afternoon in time for dinner, then paper work until we exchanged with Carpentaria, then Sunday. Whew! Way way busy, but a lot of fun.

Tuesday was so good. It felt so weird to be a zone Leader again and be around all of them. It was a good meeting. We talked about a lot of good things and did a lot of counseling about things. My favorite thing was learning about the Sermon on the Mount from Matt. 5-7. President (Who used to teach religion at BYU I) taught about how the Sermon is to just a few selectmen and women who were disciples and how it teaches us about Character and what it means and how to use it. It’s hard to explain, haha, but it was so good. I'll never see those scriptures the same way again!

Our exchange with Elder Brodie was really good. We got to talk to a lot of people and we found a couple potential investigators. He is such a good missionary, and he has changed so much since we were together. I was so thankful to go on exchanges with him! We also taught Hattie that night. She is still not ready to set a date, but she is so close and in tune with the spirit.  You can see her face light up when she reads the scriptures and when we talk with her. She is so close! i hope she will be able to do it this transfer. She used to be Atheist about 7 months ago, but a friend told her about the church, then hosted the lessons in his home, and she started to develop faith and begin to pray. From there she has come to church every week and prays and reads everyday! She is a sweetheart.

So on Thursday we had to report back to all the missionaries in our zone from the Zl meeting. We did our district meeting in the morning, and then did Lompoc’s later that day. We taught about Character and how we each ought to be on a daily "Crusade for Character" (I got that from Cedar Badge!), and then we taught about how to teach Investigators to pray so that they can recognize and receive answers to their prayers. It turned out really well! After ours we had to grab a quick subway then fly up to Lompoc. It went well too! Then afterwards I left and went in a tri-pan with Elder Jorgensen and Elder Hall (Who is pretty new) in Solvang. It was a good exchange, and we talked to quite a few people. They had a good lesson with a part member family, as well as a lesson with an investigator. They were  kind of slow to get started on some things, but did overall very well. I was very impressed with the quality of missionaries they are.

Friday afternoon we got back in time to have dinner with a sister at a good Chinese restaurant, work on a report for the Stake presidency, the quickly exchanged with Elder McBride and Elder Lenhart. I got to go to Carpentaria with Elder McBride, and I was so impressed with him. This is his second transfer out, and he is a stellar missionary. It was so weird to be back in Carp.. It felt like everything was the same, but I feel like I have changed so much. It was neat to see some of the people they are working with, like Xavier (Who I taught too) that is actually going to get baptized! He lives in a rough situation with his family, but he has a strong desire to change, and I could tell that he has. The area seems to be doing really well, and the work is good for them. It was great! A sister that I knew there has recently gone less active (She’s even endowed!) so we went to teach her and at them end she hugged me and cried and told me how much she loved and appreciates me. My heart broke!  it was a different exchange.

Sunday we busy as ever. Early meetings, Church. In the YSA ward they did a Christmas program, and it was SO good! A girl played Violin while someone played piano and it was AMAZING! Like concert quality. Haha so I liked it. Then we saw a few people and the week was over! I was exhausted, but it was good.

Living with bro Hyde is great! He is a cool guy and helps us out a lot.

Bro sears did have missionaries still, so it was good to be back.
This transfer is going great and Elder Fullmer and me get along great.

I got my trunky papers on Saturday! Yikes. It had my itinerary and stuff to write before I go home. Haha it was weird, i never thought it would happen. Haha! but its good.. Still got some time.

I'm glad dad is doing good, and that everyone else is too! I love ya'll and miss ya.

Well, I think that’s it! I love you! See you soon! The church is true!

--
Elder Matthew Monk
 California Ventura Mission
         -  Jan. 2011 - Jan. 2013 -


No comments:

Post a Comment