Monday, January 7, 2013

Last and final letter. . .


The following letter is from the member that Matt has been living with in Santa Barbara the past 6 weeks.  

~
Monday, Jan. 7th, 2013


Elder Monk has been working full speed until this morning when he has taken "time out" on this P-Day to pack his bags.  He even has a meeting scheduled for this evening, and will go to Ventura for the departure meeting tomorrow.
I am sure that he is busy exchanging email with you right now, but I wanted to take a moment to thank you for sending such a fine young man to our area for missionary service.
He has become quite an accomplished cook, and also a house cleaner.  I recommend that you give him a chance to demonstrate these skills.
I have thoroughly enjoyed his enthusiasm and his spiritual insight.  In addition, we have had a lot of fun exchanging observations of wit on various subjects.
Please give him a big hug for me (and my wife Lola who is currently assigned to the various tasks in the Spirit World {aka Paradise}.  She went there 2 April 2010, and the first of "my missionaries" moved into our guest room on 24 April 2010).  Elder Monk was #18 and he will relinquish his place to #19, Elder Comargo (originally from Columbia).  No one can "take the place" of Elder Monk - he's a jewel.
Sincerely, your brother,
    Jerry Hyde
~


Here is Matt's last and final letter from the mission field.  Oh, my heart doesn't quite know what to do.  I love having a son in the mission field but my arms just want to feel Matt and give him a big hug.  I miss him so much but on the other hand I couldn't be more proud.  Actually,

I can't wait to see him!

~

Hi Mom!

Well, it’s the last one. Not too much to report, as I will be seeing
you soon. This was a good week! Pretty busy.

At church yesterday we had testimony meetings and we both bore our
testimonies twice! And brother Hyde got up and told how he invites us
to repent daily and then we do all right. Then he told the whole ward
I was getting "Transferred to Idaho" Haha! It was a good day.

I'm pretty much all ready to go, laundry all done, packed, etc... We
have an appointment with Hattie tonight, then bed, then off to Ventura
in the morning.

I have been thinking a lot of the last two years. I have changed so
much, and experienced so much. But I am, "Not finished, I'm just
getting transferred," as brother Hyde would say. He always says that
about his wife, who passed away about 3 years ago. She's in the spirit
world busily doing work that needs to be done, welcoming the new
comers, etc. (He also says decorating their apartment) I am still
Matt, but I am different. I feel like I know who I am, Know what I
want, and most importantly I know that I am a Son of God. I am so
thankful for the people I've met on this mission, the sacred
experiences I’ve witnessed, and who I’ve started to become. I am
humbled that God could use me as an Instrument in doing His work. I am
so thankful for each and everyday, no matter how hard, hot, or cold
they have been. :)

I am so thankful for your love and support (Everyone’s) and I honestly
can't wait to see you. If it weren't for you, I couldn't have done
this. I love you, and I will see you Wednesday!

I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the
Lord's church once again established on this Earth, preparatory to His
Second Coming, when He will reign in Power and Glory on this Earth.  I
know that we are led by a living prophet, and that this church and all
It’s authority was restored to this earth through the Prophet Joseph
Smith, ushering in the Dispensation of the Fullness of Times, the last
and greatest Dispensation. I know that the Book of Mormon is a record
the was written and sealed by the hands of prophets, and I know that
it is true. I love our Savior Jesus Christ, and I know that He lives!

Love you!

Elder Matt Monk

~

Matt will be reporting his mission on Sunday, Jan. 13th.  Our Sacrament meeting is at 2:50 p.m.  We hope you all will come!  Dinner will be after at our home.

Hope to see you all then!  

No comments:

Post a Comment