Sunday, July 7, 2013

Family Reunion


July 6th, 2013
Today we celebrated my Grandma Gneiting's 119th birthday.
For years we have all gathered together on the Saturday that is
close to July 9th.  
So fun for us all to see each other.
We enjoyed good food, fun and lots of visiting!
It didn't seem so hot today and it even rained a little bit.

As usual, I didn't get get very  many good pictures but I'll share
what I have.
Of course, they are of my grandkids.

 Ready to go down the huge slide!
 Playing in the mud.
Oh wait, it's not just Camden playing in the mud, all the kids were.


I have such fond memories of my Grandma Gneiting.
*I remember playing with the soft skin on her worn hands as she snuggled me on her lap.
*Salmon from a can and being able to eat the bones
*Cracker Jacks and Hires Root beer
*Her foot going up and down on her treadle sewing machine as she hemmed diapers
*Canasta with her sisters
*Pin curls
*Grinding the nuts for applesauce cookies
*Jello with cheese in it for every Sunday lunch!
*The love of Popcorn (It runs in the family)
*Aprons
*Handkerchiefs
*The smell of Dove soap
*Orange Stick chocolates
*PEPSI

*When I was about 14 or 15 Grandma fell and broke her wrist and then not too long after that, she fell and broke the other one.  She moved in with my family.  Such a sweet little lady.  My Mom took care of her for years!  Oh, the lessons I have learned from my Mom and my Grandma's examples.  
*I remember  asking my Mom for $ and Grandma slipping me some into my hand. 

*I remember Grandma laying in a bed at the nursing home.  I remember thinking I didn't ever want to live as long as she did if my quality of life was like that.
*When I sing Happy Birthday I end it with 94 instead of 104 because of my Grandma G.

I'm sure that Grandma looked down on her posterity today and she was smiling.

I feel so blessed to say that I loved and really knew my Grandma Gneiting.
I can't wait to see her again! 




No comments:

Post a Comment